Life's  a  Journey

Princess Of Hill Station

Kodaikanal is a city and a taluk division of dindigul district in the state of Tamilnadu.In 20th century a few elite Indians came to realize  the value of this enchanting places and started relocating here.much of the local economy is now based on the hospitality industry ,serving national and international tourists .a

History of Kodaikanal

The first European to visit kodaikanal was LIEUTENANT B.S.WARD

In 1834 Mr J.C.Wroughten,Then sub collector of madurai and Mr.C.R.Cotton a member of madras presidency,claimed up from devadanapatti and built a small bungalow at the head of Adukkam 

in 1845 first two bungalows,sunny side and shelton were built by six families of american missionaries from Madurai with the help of an Englishman 

In 1852 louis saint cyr visited kodaikanal and returned to the plains after finding only four bungalows 

  • Baynes
  • parker
  • clark  and
  • parday 

in 1852 Major J.M.partridge of the Bombay army built himself a house in kodai and became the first person to actually settle in kodaikanal .The collector of Madurai ,built a home there that the development of kodaikanal

In 1853,a group of american and British built kodaikanal first church building The ANGLICAN church of st.peter 

In 1860 the governor of madras presidency sir chales trevelyan visited kodaikanal and stayed in Roseneath cottage,which is still occupied ,in may 1860,Father Louis saint Cyr returned with Father Rettary and several french men,Belgians and Europeans stay in Baynes bungalow and by September 29 had bought that place to use as a rest house for the members of Christ church.The bungalow was renamed La providence in the honor a lady with that name who gave Rs 20,000 for reconstruction of the bungalow.

La salette church was finished in 1866 

In 1863 acting on a suggestion of Sir Levinge then collector of Madurai, a man made lake was formed by blocking a stream to attract tourist 

In 1867 Major J.M.Partridge of Bombay army imported Australian Eucalyptus and Wattle trees to kodaikanal

In 1872 Lt coaker cut a path along the steep south east facing ridge which commends a magnificent view of the plains below the 1km (6mi) path was named after him as "COAKER'S WALK " The man who prepared the most exceptional The descriptive Map of kodaikanal

In 1883 kodaikanal had 615 permanent also became a regular summer retreat for many american missionaries and European 

In 1895 the american Madurai mission built the union church building 

In 1901 the first observations were commenced at the kodaikanal observatory 

In 1909 when the Guide to kodaikanal was published by E.M.M.L 

In 1914,the present Ghat road was completed and was subsequently improved,the total length of the roads on the hill was 48KM 

In April 1915 .Dr Van Allen Raised funds to construct the first unit of the hospital at the entrance of coaker's was after him facilities got updated  from time to time and now it has X-ray machine,well equipped pathological lab,and an operation theatre 

Government hospitals was a small municipal hospital Untill 1927 


Thank you for contacting us. We will get back to you as soon as possible
Oops. An error occurred.
Click here to try again.